History of the First Wesleyan Church of Lincolnton, NC
Beginnings & Early Years:
In 1955 a burden of many individuals was brought to the attention of the Western District Missionary Board of the North Carolina Wesleyan Methodist Conference. There was a need for a strong evangelistic church with the Wesleyan doctrine in Lincolnton, NC.
The need was prayerfully investigated, the field was surveyed and a location was found to be available on the corner of High and Pine Streets in Lincolnton. The location was only four blocks from the county courthouse. The house and lots were purchased, and the initial payments were made with Church Extension Funds of the Western District of the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
After an extensive remodeling by volunteering ministers and laymen, a small worshipful chapel was formed in the front section of the large residence. The chapel included a choir loft, piano, pulpit, kneeling altar and seating capacity for ninety people.
The Missionary Board secured the services of Rev. and Mrs. Bernard Roof as the first pastor. Many of the people from Long Shoals Wesleyan Methodist Church became interested in the work, and services began in March of 1957 in the chapel.
The attendance began to grow and finances increased. On The 23rd day of February 1958 the First Wesleyan Methodist Church of Lincolnton, NC was organized with seventeen charter members. They were Rev. and Mrs. Roof, Rev. and Mrs. Dennard, Mr. and Mrs. James Hoffman, Mr. and Mrs. Roy “Doc” Hoyle and two sons, Keith and Larry Dean, Mrs. Faith Nance, Mrs. Bertie Lee Mace, Mr. and Mrs. Tommy Burgin, and Mr. and Mrs. Horace McAlister. In August of 1959, there was a total membership of twenty-two.
In 1960, with Sunday school attendance averaging sixty, land was purchased on the corner of Bonview and N. Government Streets. A new sanctuary was built with a downstairs for Sunday school classes. The building continued in later years to add a fellowship hall and a new sanctuary built in 1977.
The current pastor, Rev. Tommy Wright, and the present congregation have experienced slow positive growth over the past 8 years. We are looking forward to more growth and seeing God’s kingdom go forward through Lincolnton First Wesleyan Church. The history of the church has been steady and faithful and the future looks bright and fruitful. God has blessed us richly and we believe He will continue to bless His people doing His work.